Milton Mount Primary School believes that Physical Education, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We believe that participation in sport and the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes has a positive impact on learning in the classroom. Children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness and the importance of regular exercise as part of leading a healthy lifestyle. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. At Milton Mount Primary School, we ensure that through quality teaching, our PE curriculum is progressive, fun and engaging, allowing children to develop fundamental skills they can to a variety of sports and activities. Children are taught swimming, a key life skill and we aim for all Year 6 pupils to leave school with the skills to competently swim at least 25m, the minimum requirements of the National Curriculum and have the skills to self-rescue in the water. Children learn to work as part of a team and to cooperate and collaborate with others. We aspire for children to enjoy PE and develop a love of sport and physical activity which can become part of their life outside of primary school and beyond. Physical Education is an integral part of our curriculum and we strive to create a culture which aims to inspire an active generation to enjoy PE, encourage each other and achieve. Children are given opportunities to represent the school at sporting events from local to county level. We provide a safe and supportive environment for children to flourish in a range of different physical activities which is essential in supporting their physical, emotional, spiritual, social and moral development. At Milton Mount we offer a dynamic and varied program of activity to ensure that all children progress physically through a unique and fully inclusive PE curriculum.
- PE at Milton Mount Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, striking and fielding games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and team building.
- The Get Set 4 PE curriculum map sets out the units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term.
- Children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities. Clubs are offered to both KS1 and KS2.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Each year, a small group of Year 6 children are given the opportunity to become Sports Play Leaders for the school. They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with and organising lunch-time activities and games.
- Children participate in Forest School lessons each term. This has a direct impact on physical activity levels, and helps embed physical activity into the school day through active teaching and learning outside, developing self-confidence and building self-esteem.
- Children in Year 3 participate in one term of weekly swimming lessons with the aim for all Year 6 pupils to leave school with the key life skills to competently swim at least 25m and have the skills to self-rescue in the water
- Pupils participate in at least 2 hours of high-quality PE lessons each week, covering one or two different sports/ skills focuses each half term.
- Staff assess units at the end of each half termly throughout the academic year.
- Children are encouraged to stay active at break times and can access a variety of equipment to use.
The aim of our Physical Education curriculum is to promote physical activity and healthy lifestyles through planned, progressive learning of a broad range of activities including sport and dance. Providing opportunities for children to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. They ‘learn to move’, becoming more physically competent and ‘move to learn’, learning a range of skills and understandings through movement and beyond physical activity such as co-operating with others.
The school sport which happens in our extended curriculum, broadens and develops the foundation learning that takes place in physical education lessons. It provides opportunities for our children to compete in sport and other activities, promoting values such as respect and fairness, encouraging communication, the ability to work as part of a team and instilling a love of sport. Being physically active throughout the school day and beyond, such as participating in outdoor adventurous activities such as Forest Schools, indoor and outdoor play and provisions in Early Years Foundation stage and Key Stage 1, active learning and travel to and from school all supplement Milton Mount’s Physical Education offer.